Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, May 9, 2016

Practicing Outside

It's a beautiful day out and I spent a good deal of time practicing outside. I used to watch people practice Kung Fu nonchalantly and wonder, "Why the hell won't this guy just get it done already. Taking so many breaks here and there. What a waste of time."

Today I was totally that guy though. Part of it was I didn't eat breakfast. But if Ihad eaten... I would have been too full to practice at all. I don't know I guess I'm just out of shape. Plus in years past when I fatigued myself in the midst of the Spring pollen... well I ended up getting so sick.... it was really bad. So I don't want to do that. Plus at least I was enjoying the out doors and yes I got SOME practice in.

I did some of my forms.. reversed. IE, I did them left handed. I think this will be increasingly important as Jonah begins learning forms... And as much as I do question my time being used on practicing stuff that may not be useful in a "real fight" and is definitely not so useful in a real situation.. combat or otherwise (for instance... computer programming would be far more useful.) You know what? I am who I am. And I am going to enjoy myself. At the same time I will continue to try and realize my dream of a school and at least a group to practice with... and not get injured. I was thinking about Uncle Four's (Sifu's brother) stories about his old work outs. No forms. He just did Chuen Pow cup and swimming (the goal was to swim down to Hong Kong) and pull ups and the human flag.. stuff like that.

His work out could be the next new thing. In fact, it's not that different from the MMA craze.....

I've been thinking it would be cool to have like a pretend Pirate Crew. Have a flag with the Cheung name (I was doing this when the kids were first born with the flags and the Pirate crew idea) and since my dad's nickname was Cheung Bo Jai, the name of a pirate... I mean just go with it. And then absorb all sorts of martial arts because who cares.. your pirates. Steal the Kung Fu..

In fact Cheung Po Jai supposedly did White Crane. But they definitely did Kung fu according to legend. I mean I even had my fight with an oar and drunken Pirate forms I made up. I feel like I should revisit this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment