Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Gracie Academy

I've been watching a lot of Gracie Academy videos.. and though I'm not yet ready to commit through money.. I'm totally hooked. This guys are so fun to watch. I watch them talk about nothing and enjoy it. Plus they seem like nice guys and they are definitely successful guys.
Since a lot of these techniques have actually been around a while and are the same kind of thing Bruce Lee countered in his movies, you make think I am crazy to start gravitating towards this stuff. Have I lost my mind? I thought you did Kung Fu.

Look, I have been teaching kids with a while and there is an issue with the whole Kung Fu secrecy thing. As in, I am always worried about that. Am I showing secret techniques that my Sifu wouldn't have wanted me to share? Dude that is why I have created my own classes. On top of that, my Sifu's stuff takes a long time to learn. More time than any other martial art? no.
But Why start showing them a form if they can't finish it?

And people keep asking me about grappling grappling. And this stuff is just out there and they are promoting it. They want everyone to know it.

I'm not saying I will throw away what I have learned. But I could watch these videos with my kids (so again it's not like I am the mean teacher, we are learning together) And then we can talk about some of the supplemental stuff that is in the forms. In fact, it is helping me to see some variations in Mein Lei Jum and Luk like, etc.

I'm telling you if I had my own school already set up, I would totally sign on to this thing and pay the money. Why? Because so many people want to learn BJJ now. And it doesn't mean you have to stop doing Lion Dance and Forms and weapons. It would be a separate entity within your Moh Goon. Is it kind of Scammy? I'm not sure. I know an online course sounds like it is, but if you already know Kung Fu, I fell like these techniques aren't that hard to show.. plus you can just pull out a screen of some sort and do it that way.


If you and your friends were just doing the moves on each other then I guess you don't have to pay, all this stuff is online. But if you pay the money you could totally advertise that you are teaching BJJ, which has it's advantages and disadvantages. For me, it seems like there are a lot of things that kids would have fun doing, and even if you say "Oh a real fight wouldn't be like that." Even when I show a kid an eye strike.. I'm telling you they can't always do it. And the ones that can do it did NOT need to learn that. They are so athletic that they are actually a danger and possibly a bully themselves. And this two brothers have a whole course online that handles all that stuff. Bull stuff. Stuff A lot of Kung Fu guys do not really want to handle. Just turn on the screen and show the video. Then after an hour of that or whatever. Drumming, lion dance, forms, weapons.

Basically it is another Martial Skill that is nice to have. A more humane way to take someone down, and another way to make money in addition to the Forms classes, Basics classes, which I think only adults who are into working out will like. I think the basics classes are either done as Yoga/Chi Gung or as some kind of p-96 thing because very few people like to do the basics. I guess I was the weird one. Drumming classes. And Lion Dance. Plus some of the drills seem good as light warm ups anyway.

I'm there. (I'm not spending money yet) But I'm there. And if I had already committed to having a space which costs rent, I think I would spend the money because it would sort of be like advertising for my space. And they give you all this stuff you can sell. Uniforms or whatever. It's a franchise, but whatever I think it's good.

They have that story of the guy who started his little Garage Dojo and that was kind of cool. I would love to do something like that. And he did that while running a real Estate business.

Of course I want to promote my Sifu's System and My own system as well. But some of that stuff you do feel uncomfortable selling. It's better to sell other peoples stuff and reserve the forms for insiders, like a secret handshake of sorts. Because a lot of times you sell a form, and they don't even appreciate it. But everyone wants BJJ or a simple work out... so give it to them.

Do I seem to commercialized? I don't know I don't see a problem with it. Just not ready to throw down the cash.. because I am risk averse.

No comments:

Post a Comment