Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Class vs group. Fee vs. free

Grace is really working towards making some sort of community group here in JP a more tangible thing. Basically I tried with the whole teaching kids and parents for free thing and when people didn't show up, I just got sick of it, which is why  I started charging or teaching at places where the kids will be there and can't leave (Nativity). With Kung Fu, it's not all about the money. But even if you get paid and you don't feel you are paid enough, you start to feel like, "Why am I doing this?"

It's also not all about people following everything you do. For instance yesterday I let the Nativity kids make up their own forms... and some of the routines were actually really good. The only thing to do to fix it would be to make the techniques clearer etc... and some of that has to come from training basics and if not forms.... then at least the techniques that they chose to do in their made up form.


But one could argue.. "What do you need me for? Why do I have to be there?"


For Grace's group, which would be focusing on adults, I originally thought of a whole series of basics and calisthenics etc.  that I like to do for myself. But I have been thinking maybe I should modify the stretches. Maybe just do the five Tibetan rites instead. And then maybe not all the basics, and maybe so two person drills as well. I am thinking of all this and meanwhile, it is doubtful whether anyone will even come to this group in our minds. a very "JP" group of people, parents and kids etc. And what the point of the group would be.

And then you have to think, if it is going to be free, like so many of my other groups have been, and if people don't take it seriously... what will be the point? What will I get out of it?

I think ultimately I will have to charge and also have a start and end point, similar to my three month class I am starting next week for $60.

No comments:

Post a Comment