Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Peaky Blinders

I'm hooked on this show. At first I wondered what the title even meant. And it's pretty hard for an American to understand why such a bad ass gang of the 1900's would have a name that sounds like it came from a children's story.

A few things of note. I know that Chinatown has some bad ass stories of it's own from this era. I mean Boston's Chinatown in America. I could not help but notice that even though the Chinese are shown in this show, they just seem weak. They aren't portrayed bad assly.

It makes me want to write more stories in the Chinatown blog about that time period. It's long ago enough now, that it shouldn't be a problem to just let everything out.

But back to the Peaky Blinders.


The fight scenes are awesome. I have to say it makes me want to where hats like that and put razors in them. It would be so stupid to do that of course, but maybe I'll start wearing my fish town derby again.

I also noticed some moves that are in Sup Ji that I always categorize as "for show" that were used in a way that, well if you do it like that, yeah anyone can do that move.

Speaking of Kung Fu I also notice that the Shelby's do a lot of boxing. More and more as the episodes progress. I think Kung Fu of that era was also similarly unhealthy.

Smoking, drinking, opium, something that looks like cocaine but is called something else.

Gypsy fortune telling. I guess English and Chinese aren't that different.

So why is the one group shown with such swagger and the other  always depicted as people who yes, break the law, but are more like servants.

Well I'm hooked nonetheless, with Sam Neil with an Irish accent.

No comments:

Post a Comment