Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Taken by suprise

I was washing dishes when suddenly I feel cold water spraying onto my stomach.
"Shit!" I said as I realized that the cutting board I had just placed behind the spray nozzle feature on the sink, something I have never used, was pushing and activating it.
"Why did you say shit?" asked Jonah as I mopped water off the kitchen floor. Our kitchen floor, is made of wood for some reason, which means that water is not "just water" but a substance that can potentially damage the floor if left alone.
By doing work I had created more work. And explaining that this work had to be done to Jonah, who was asking me for gummy vitamins, was not going well. At some point, he asked for angry birds and you know what? I let him have it. No actually I let him buy it with points. Points that I have been giving away quite liberally recently. I think if earning points are too hard, he won't even try. But by making it easier to earn points, he will be willing to participate in this system.

On a positive note I got my workout in. I have been doing 100 basics 50 walking basics and some kicks almost every day or at least alternating days. It is my new cardio. On the down side I have slacked off on  my training of Noah. Mainly because I see him playing around with sup ji techniques on his own, and there is only so much time in the day.

This morning we were also somewhat late for school. I blame the fact that I ate breakfast. Which I usually don't recently. It gives me more time. In fact, the reason why I was able to practice was because I did not eat lunch. I'm not going to fast, but maybe I only need one meal a day. It's just easier for everyone.

Although my breakfast was just leftovers that the kids did not finish that would have been thrown out.

There was one thing that concerned me about Noah's education today.
He had been asking me what a slave was over the weekend and so I showed him a 10 minute crash course U.S. history segment. But today he was just repeating the excerpt from the diary of a slave about being whipped.. and that can easily be misinterpreted. Actually I was trying to explain this complicated issue to him while he was putting on his shoes and it would stop him from putting on his shoes. That's really why we were late.

So then I thought maybe I could get a children's book on Harriet Tubman, since she is going to be the new face of the 20 dollar bill.

"But how come nobody caught her?" Noah asked. And I realized the children's book would do some good. But maybe I should show some clips of 12 years a slave. Then I realized that would be a very bad idea. But then I remembered the old movie, "Half Slave Half Free." That one is more kid friendly and is the same story only I think it was made more for the African American Community. So there are some other messages in there about not fighting among yourselves. Basically the more I thought about it, THAT movie is great for Noah because there are other take aways that will actually relate to HIS life.

Some Things  "Half Slave Half Free" (an earlier film version of 12 years a slave) can teach a 5  and 4 year old.

A) Don't talk t strangers. They might kidnap you and make you a slave. This can actually still happen today. It's just not legal. Technically, it wasn't even legal in Solomon Northup's case. Which is why he was able to be set free legally.

B) Practice your violin. It might come in handy.

C)There are some good social skills about how to get along with people both above you and on the same level as you.

D) Learn a trade

Plus it shows a more complicated version of slavery. For instance the Northups are actually well to do in the North in that movie. It shows how history is not just linear. Plus the language is simple enough for Noah to get it. Well I guess I better show him this movie tonight instead of Kung Fu. Hopefully it's on You Tube. I used to have a VHS but that was in middle school.

No comments:

Post a Comment