Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, May 29, 2015

Song of Achilles

I really liked this book, and JP reads is sponsoring a Greek Fest this Sunday at the Loring-Greenough house.
I think this book will take off as required reading in high school because  it fits in with reading the Oddysey and the Illiad but also it is Diverse because it's about to boys who become lovers. But as a heterosexual reading it, you don't feel alienated. It's a love story, with a lot of action and fighting. It would be great to have had the conversations about relationships and that sort of thing that such a book would encourage. But at the same time, it's right in line with the classics. It's Achilles and Patrocles we are reading about.

We've been asked to perform at the Festival. It's also Jonah's birthday and it might rain so I wasn't sure at first. But then I realized It's good for Jonah to go to a party on his birthday (and then come home for our own cake) and we can just bring the plastic drum and the cardboard head. Also Noah and I will will just focus on the Kung Fu aspect of the performance since that actually related to the book more than lion dance. But we will still do lion dance because it is a good warm up for the performance he will have to do next week for his Asfter School program.

I'll probably bring some sticks and foam noodles and I plan to do a freestyle staged fight with Noah after he does his other free style forms. I think I'll do forms too just for fun. Why not? It's a good warm up for me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment