Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Rioting

I have been seeing a lot of things on Facebook about rioting and race and how when white people riot they don't call it a riot. The first off the cuff response to that from me may be racist. And here it is. "When white people riot, it's a revolution." But that's not really true. The second thing I would say, which is also racist is, "As a half Chinese Half white person, let me just say that whites are excellent rioters. That's why they have so much power. And Chinese are good too but they tend not to riot in countries where they are the minority."
There is truth in these statements but they aren't the full truth.

I will say that Jonah is a lot better at rioting than Noah. What is a riot? It is causing destruction so that the establishment (which would be me in my household) is too distracted to enforce it's laws or continue along with the program or plan that it is trying to carry out.

For instance Noah will just yell and scream at me and try to hit me. This is not a good strategy. I'm many for times his size.

Jonah knows he is weaker than me. Not only weaker than me, but weaker than Noah. So when he wants to change what is happening. He riots. He will knock over a drink and then move on to a chair and then scatter the blocks and then run upstairs and wreak havoc on that. So I had to escalate my law enforcement. For instance, if I go to clean up the drink, three other things have happened. So the first thing is to catch Jonah.

Let's pretend I was a country and Noah and Jonah were separate communities. Community Noah feels his rights are being infringed upon. So Community Noah stomps his feet and shouts and tries to attack me. I then punish Noah harshly while holding out rewards for good behavior or doing what I want etc. Simple carrot and stick.

Community Jonah (Jonah is a lot more like me.) feels his rights are being infringed upon. He says anything. Instead tomorrow the entire city is on fire and nobody knows why. While I scramble to clean it up, community Jonah charges that I am unfit for rule and proposes a special emergency election (assuming we are a democracy) someone one from Community Jonah gets elected. The fires and chaos stop, which reinforces that idea that the person from Community Jonah is the more fit leader.

I scratch my head wondering what happened to my position.

If we are not a democracy than a full out rebellion has to happen.

Of course Jonah's strategy doesn't really work since he is not even four yet. But I can tell you that I often just leave power because I am tired of dealing with the nonsense. If he can somehow show me that he can raise himself, then fine. So basically when he is a teen he will be able to do whatever he wants. I will only be able to give advice and guidance, not set down rules.

 Noah actually likes rules. He often creates rules for me to enforce on him. I'm serious. Different people like their societies to be structured differently. And that can expand into groups and communities. Noah and Jonah are brothers. But they kind of fit the stereotypes of the races they appear to be. But at the same time they share the same genetic material. So even with two kids you can't generalize too much. But there is truth in some of the generalizations I have made. But it's not the whole truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment