Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Sherlock Holmes

I was watching the newish Sherlock from BBC. The one set in modern times with Watson being an Afghanistan vet. The second episode has "Tongs" and gangster Chinese acrobats dressed up in Chinese Opera gear. One of the masks was clearly a Guan Gong mask (a god I still bow to) but he had a gao wan do and somehow managed to be defeated by skinny Sherlock with a can on spray paint.
It kind of reminded me of of what I would guess a Fu Manchu episode would look like. And of course they are introducing Moriarti slowly and he seems like that Asian, no Oriental, menace that Fu Manchu would be.
Was I offended? I guess I just recognized that the second episode was full of these sort of stereotypes and yet..... it's fun to see these familiar thing son TV in a western series. It's weird to see how it's represented. Chinese gangsters are always dressed a certain way in American and I guess British film and media. But they are dressed a different way if you watch a Hong Kong gangster film. The way Chinese gangsters dress in the west looks kind of how the Taiwan or Japanese gangsters dress in the "Young and Dangerous" series, which when I think about it, is really dated now. And the Mainland Chinese Gangsters in say "The Election" don't dress like anything in particular.
There was a lot of cheesy dramatic English and fear of "them" getting you because once you are "in" you can never leave even if you move to England.
The flip side of that in the Young and Dangerous Movie where Chan Ho Lam travels to Denmark and is shown around by an old Hung Hing member who has put that life behind him. Chan Ho Lam ends up trying to give him some money out of "yee hei" not track him down and kill him for some strange ancient Chinese artifact sold on the black market.
When you think about it, Rush Hour was the same premise.
All that being said, I enjoy the Sherlock series and will continue to watch and enjoy it. And if I was an actor, I would play one of those stereotypical roles immediately.
But with this Sherlock being so much about the Asian Underworld, it makes me wonder what Elementary is like, with Lucy Liu playing Watson. I won't be watching it yet though. Because on Amazon it isn't free yet,

No comments:

Post a Comment