Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Resolutions

Besides having a resolution to get ripped, or my version of ripped, the Chinese New Year season being around the corner has made me want to resolve to seriously put together a group of people that will get stuff done. That means adults. It doesn't mean that they have to be able to endure long hours of lion dancing (though that would be nice) and it doesn't even mean I need 100 people (I am actually thinking of 10-15 people... which is actually high. But maybe 10-15 people total and 6-8 people who can seriously do the art. That don't mean stilts and poles.. it doesn't even mean multiple forms. But be able to drum, lion dance, be or work toward being athletic, and at least one form and willingness to learn more.

More than that, willingness to do creative stuff like make videos, write stories, draw pictures, post memes, organize events... that kind of stuff.

Since store to store seems difficult to coordinate.... even just getting together and doing lion dance would be awesome.... but wait.. is store to store lion dance THAT hard to coordinate? Actually it isn't. You just need a group that is willing.

I guess me resolution is to more actively recruit people. I mean yeah I can do a performance any time with my kids. By I really need teens to adults that are a unit, a team, a group. They don't have to be willing to sacrifice studies or sports or other activities. They just have to be willing to do. To train, to perform, to show up, and to put in mental effort or even social media effort.

Its just that to get a small group together will take more searching and questing than I thought. It will take more effort. I will have to search through and teach 100 people to get those few Knights of a Round Table or Wuxia Heroes, or 108 Heroes (again more like 5-8)

And of course I have to adapt to the people in front of me. If small children don't like a line up and drill class, but they obviously have some talent, then I have to switch it up. yes I have been doing all this, but seeing that I am not where I wanted to be in this goal by now... but at the same time seeing that some of my students have improved (surprisingly) and have more potential than I once thought shows me that I just have to do more. Why? Because I knew 20 years ago that this was who I am and this is what I was meant to do... but in the interim I seemed to have lost my way a little and forgotten that.

No comments:

Post a Comment