Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, December 16, 2016

On Wushu Dance

Well I am learning this form online  to teach to little kids.


At first I actually injured my arm because I tried to put power into the moves.


Here is my anti-Wushu rant. But also a traditional form which I adapted to be used in a similar way. ie. The kids can follow along and not move their feet. I guess this would be useful for adults too who like doing a bunch of techniques but don't have the space. I actually started practicing like this when I broke my foot. I still want to practice techniques from the forms but I wasn't really mobile. I could walk but  not much. But back then I wasn't doing it for performance so I freestyled it. I remember doing Luk Lik stuff an developing new ways to do them. My Sifu commented that I had broken through my understanding of the Tiger Crane double set. In our style the Tiger and the Crane become one animal. And there is another hidden animal in there as well. You won't see that break through in the video below. This is a rant that is defending why I teach children the way I do... but writing about it just reminded me.



The point is, that breakthrough in understanding partially came about due to breaking my foot. My arm is slightly injured now... but as you can see I can still do regular Kung Fu in this video no problem. I realized if I don't use any power at all.. like Linghu Chung, and forget all my Kung Fu and just put the random techniques forced upon me in the video by putting my hands down first and treating them as what they are, separated random techniques, and using the duqu gau geem technique of Fong ching Yerng, a la "Proud Smiling Wanderer" (Siu ngo Gong Wu) then I can memorize this form and just do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment