Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, June 23, 2014

Afternoon of the Main Street Festival

Walking towards the stage we actually caught people coming out of Church from St. James. I haven't been in a while, but the next time I do go, it will most likely be without the kids unless it is to a children's mass.
So we did our lion dance, people took pictures, bithe children went home.. ahh yes. I suppose I could have wandered around the festival by myself for a while. But instead I went straight back to Moh Goon, where people were gathering and talking. I brushed my teeth, drank some water, and began my beginners class for the day.
Meditation, stretching etc. It was great to have people around me talking. And indeed I joined in this adult conversation. I swore and talked about subjects not appropriate for children, because my children weren't there. There was one guy who I knew only through the Federation and he had a lot of martial arts stories and travel stories as well. I hadn't talked to him much in the past. I guess because we didn't really know each other. But it was nice to hear stories about other people's lives in other states or other lands.

Some of them were very interesting, but I won't share them here because they aren't really mine to tell, plus I only got bits and pieces.

By the time I was finishing up with standing basics, there was a whole crowd of people including the performers preparing to start performing. I wasn't a main performer and not really supervising so I just stayed out of the way and continued my basics. (I ended up playing the gong.)

The only thing I did was remind Jing of the time when we were at 5 minutes before he said we were to leave.

Then we were off. We walked over did our performance. Me playing gong, which meant that I could really watch the audience, something you can't do with the head. I watched our heads too of course, and the kids did well. They had good head movement. Of course their skills and muscles are still developing. But looking at videos of myself from the same performance I wouldn't say I am necessarily better than they just parading down the street, are unless I happen to be really trying for some reason. (which sometimes I am)

We went back though the stage was emoty and they asked if we could keep going. So I did a little children's class. Wheels on the Kung Fu bus etc. If someone got a video please share it with me. I'll put it on my class blog to legitimize myself.

Well then what happened? I guess there was more talking at the school and soon enough it was time for the Federation performance. Seven heads we did. Mainly for the sake of doing seven heads. It was cool.
The stage was empty when we got there but our parade in attracted people's attention. That was good for the group that would come after us I'm sure.
 After lion dance we did Kung Fu. I did another form, and easier one. And then we paraded back too.

That was actually the funnest part of the day. Parading back. Lion dancing a sort of victory lap for the sake of lion dancing... away from the audience at the end of the performance. I realized that we hardle ever paraded except for New Year's and it is difficult to muster too much energy, or even if you have it, you have to conserve it because of you are going all day.

But that day I had all the energy I could want, no kids to watch and a pefect way to spend it. I did crazy shooting ramming the heads horn into imaginary enemies. And frankly my foot work was terrible and sloppy as I did this. because we were simultaneously marching. I just felt like I was in a video game or something. Lion dance over here, chase this spectator, pretend to piss on this tree. I wanted to jump the police barricade but realized it would be embarrassing if I hurt myself. I jumped the side of it just in case. Rarr I'm a lion. Seriously I was very childish and it was fun. After that I had to get home. I called Grace to see if she wanted me to pick up an order of anything.
"Come home now please!" was all that was said
and then Noah yelling into the phone, "Baba? WHo are you? Are you Baba? Where are you?"
Of course when I got home they were amusing themselves with PBS kids on the computer. But there were other chore type things that Grace couldn't do.
Well that was it.

No comments:

Post a Comment