Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, July 22, 2013

Old man work out

You know you are old when you do sit ups on an incline at the playground, like 20, not 120... just 20 and it feels difficult, and then after you run to the merry go round with your son, you feel your abs cramp up to the degree, that despite how ridiculous you look doing this, you have to get down on the ground into cobra pose to stretch out those abs, while explaining this to onlookers. Did I mention I was wearing a straw hat that kind of looks like a cowboy hat? Did I mention this playground is near the Bromley Heath Projects? No wonder a lot of people think White people are crazy.
Actually the funny thing is I was doing my ridiculously low amount of pull ups, and this younger teen/20's guy with no shirt on and fairly well built, but still skinny like, comes up and says, " Don't worry I can only do one of those." And then he did one and he was serious. I thought I was the only man that isn't overweight that has a terrible time doing pull ups. Actually I say not overweight because I am not exactly fat. Well maybe I am now but most of my weight in is my legs. Anyway, when I told Grace's dad my weight he exclaimed, "You are overweight!" The thing is I know even if I trimmed most of my fat I would lose probably only 5 pounds. If I lost 10 pounds (of fat) I would start to look emaciated. That's why I say I'm not fat.
Today I avoided the pull, sit up type things and actually did some internal in Tai Tung Playground. Just one Mein Lay jum form. Then Jonah and I went to the Dinosaur park where I did one Fu Hok Song Ying, which is an external form, but I've been doing this thing where I do all my forms more internally, Or even if I do it externally I do it really really slow, like I'm doing yoga. Like so slow that even if I accidentally hit Jonah, it would not hurt or even move him. We stopped by the school and I did a stick form like this too. It meant that even if he decided to run head first into my crotch (I've seen other boys do this to their father's, Not sure what it's about. I think it's simultaneously about running in between our legs for comfort, and head butting us in the balls for laughs because  our reaction amuses them) Well anyway, I was moving the wooden stick slow enough that it didn't hit him. What is the purpose of practicing without using explosive power? Well Not only does it strengthen in other ways, but it keeps my body loose in regards to these Kung Fu movements, so that if I do have to perform this form sometime, it won't be like I haven't even done those moves in months or years. And yes, we did a little Itsy bitsy spider and Kung Fu bus as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment