Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Trying new stuff

I was working out with a friend who was showing me some Silat... what I realized (again) is that anytime I try something new... even though it is hard to necessarily learn an entirely new system, especially in a day.. it will broaden your perspective about whatever you know. Whether you are doing Yoga or even a new sport or game for a day or just switching something up.

Yesterday teaching at Nativity I used the Magic Rocks game which I adapted from a birthday party I went too and the "Monkey King" game I already. This game was for young children, and I told this to the 4th graders and they were like "We don't Care!" They liked it better than the "serious" basics.

I realize that this could potentially have the same effect on adults.

For Silat... I just started looking at a lot of the techniques I already know in a new light. And honestly it might even be the WAY that my friend does Silat and what he focuses on vs what other people might focus on. Like he likes to focus on a form of light sparring and we had a discussion about what he likes to do and problems that you run into sparring with the most normal looking people who end up being extremely aggressive. I thought of how children can actually play for hours "fighting"

And that although forms appeal to some people... maybe I shouldn't be so rigid about people learning them.

Then again I get very upset when Noah can't even remember his forms. Going forward... would I just allow him to completely drop them? Because I know he likes to practice... moves, and fighting.. and to follow along doing forms... but not to be forced to do them on his own all the time...

I don't know I struggle with this question all the time.

For Jonah it is very difficult for him to learn forms... but I have a feeling once he learns them he won't forget them.

Or maybe I should just leave forms for certain people who like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment