Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Just Finished Aang Avatar series

It took a while, But I finished watching Avatar the last airbender with Shao. (Dai Dai only watched with us on occasion). I was reminded of the many TVB series my dad would watch. I was like Dai Dai. I was only semi interested in them. But me and Shao were totally addicted. And now it's over... Which is why I just placed a hold on the Legend of Korra season 3.

If you haven't watched any of these shows yet, I suggest starting at the beginning with Aang's series. If it feels too Saturday Morning cartoony, don't worry it gets better and better. And there's also a lot fo jokes in the second series that refer to stuff that happened in the first one. Of course you will still find it funny even if you watch one Korra's series first like I did. But I suggest everything in order and right after each other to allow the story to unfold as it is supposed to.

Why am I getting all excited about a children's cartoon?

I realized something a long time ago. I like stories and not sports. So when I watch TV or read a book I would much rather watch a cartoon or some sort of drama rather than watch a football game or baseball game or the news.

So this made me thing of Kung Fu. Shao's Gong Gong asked me, "Are you going to teach Shao sports?"
And my answer was that I would teach him Kung Fu but sports were not my forte. Of course Now I do play soccer and that kind of thing with him. But eventually he will have to ask others for that type of advice because even though I played on teams when it was required. I could care less about following the sport at all. I can watch a movie about sports. Because there is a plot, a story. I can enjoy feats of athleticism. But the score does not hold my attention.


So I guess in Kung Fu that is also what I am attracted to. I like the stories and the spiritual side of it. I don't care about tournaments or stuff like that. I care about Chinese New Year as a whole day because there is a story element to it, and the pain or work out aspect of Kung Fu is sort of like an enhancement to the story, to make it more real.

Because The paragraph above might take you by surprise if you've seen me perform. There are people who only want to talk about Kung Fu and not practice it. But it's pretty obvious if you see my form that I practiced a lot. But again why?

Part of it was for health. But it was really living the story and therefore connecting with the story in a deeper way.

What does this have to do with Avatar?

Because as good as a lot of those real Kung Fu stories are, I think that Avatar has upped the anti. By drawing from a ton of great stories (mostly from the West) they have created some kick ass story telling.

The series doesn't fall flat, just being a cool idea but not grasping my attention, the way say, Twilight was. Vampires and Werewolves. It seems so promising, it made so much money.... but ultimately  those movies really stink. Maybe the book are better.

And Star Wars. The originals were great for their time. The new ones. Meh. And ultimately the spirituality of those stories falls flat. The Disney verions are getting there.

But Avatar starts off with magical Kung Fu where you bend elements. Four elements based of Greek Philosophy more than Chinese. Uncle Iro's character is awesome. Zuko's character is the one I identify with most, and just the whole thing is great. I can't believe I didn't open up to this series sooner.

ANd by the time you get to Korra, it's at another level again.

The episodes about past avatars and trips into the spirit world are so trippy. I suggest all College students engaged in recreational use of say, some legal or less harmful substance (depending on your state) should have a party with those spirit episodes.

Well. Can't wait to get that DVD and make Shao do some sort of Kung Fu or Violin practice so I have an excuse to reward him with watching the series. And after that I guess there are comic books.

I'm coming back to this subject later in a different post because the series really has me hooked, and adults without kids should watch it too. Especially if you are into meditation.

No comments:

Post a Comment