Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Aloha

I'm not from Hawaii. But I am half Asian. Really.
I just wanted to my take on the whole Emma Stone, Aloha, movie in Hawaii thing.
When I saw the commercials I thought, "that's cool."
When I saw the billboard I thought, "I bet if I was a local from Hawaii I would be upset about a movie called Aloha, about Hawaii witha an all white cast. I would be like, that's our word and our state, get the hell out."

But when I found out that Emma Stone is Allison Ng and that she is representing someone half Asian
I really....actually don't care as much as other people seem to. Sure there are some other Half Asian models who I've recently seen crossed over to Hollywood from Hong Kong cinema who could probably use the work. So I guess if I was one of those actresses I would be like, "Damn it that should have been my multi-million dollar part." or since the movie flopped, "Damn, glad I didn't get that role."

But people keep talking about her appearance, appearance, appearance, and start saying stuff like "she is white as it gets because she is Swedish, Irish and German" etc etc.

I happen to be Irish and German... and Chinese.

I just want to say that the classic "yellow face" actor Warren Oland, who played Charlie Chan (inspired by Apana Chang who had a personality more like and Asian Indiana Jones) was Swedish. And he also looked more Asian than I do because.... he was. Wait how is that so was his mother or father.. no.
Remember Genghis and Kubla Khan? Yeah they were all up in Europe. So a lot of Europeans have Asian ancestry.

Maybe they should have got someone that looked more Asian and that had a big name... like Jennifer Lopez. Would people get mad about that? Because I think if Jay Lo spit in a cup on that Henry Louis Gates show, I think that the percentages of Asian blood would come up pretty highh, even though those "Asian" genes are really American Indian, and they have been in this hemisphere since before the ice age or even before, back when monstrous looking creatures roamed the earth.

I'm just saying are there issues with the movie? I'm sure there are, even if Lucy Liu got the part there would probably be issues with the movie. Will I watch it? When it comes out for free on Amazon because of the low rating, yeah I'll probably watch it.

Revenge of the Green Dragons had a practically all Asian cast an the directors were the guys from young And Dangerous, but guess what? I was extremely insulted by most of the movie and it sucked and I waited the whole movie for the protagonist (who looks like my best friend) to pop the bad guy from Glee, but noooooo. He gets popped. Oh I spoiled it? No I saved you from watching the whole thing.
But I did like that all those Asian actors got work. I mean good for them. But the movie was still racist and disrespectful to Gwan Gung and the Buddha head with green eyes in the back ground for noe apparent reason. Probably just a references to Big Trouble in little China or something. Another racist movie where a lot of Asians got acting work.

Is Aloha a bad movie? I don't know.

Here are some good ones.

Better Luck Tomorrow. (dark and disturbing though.)

Ping Pong Playa (awesome.)

Let's not sound so whiny. Let's just hold up the movies that are good and make more of those. Oh yeah.

Finishing the Game (have to watch that one. That had a pretty white guy playing a half Asian too. Pretty Funny)

And finally, the Young and Dangerous movies were really good. Maybe they could remake those, but set them in New York. That would be cool. I mean why be so graphic? And why not have that priest and have the whole Christian Allegory and show some respect for Gwan Gung instead of keeping him in a dark room. Turn on the lights man!

Okay. Okay. Just focus on making good Asian American movies. Then these little slights by Hollywood will simply be laughable.

No comments:

Post a Comment