Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Rooster Eagle Phoenix Firebird dance

I resumed making this eagle I had started over the summer. And when I found out that the coming year is going to be the year of the rooster I was tempted to  turn it that way. But I realized I could only use a rooster for this Chinese New Year. But I could use an eagle for many things. But if the Eagle was a fire eagle.... people would interpret it as a rooster anyway.

Part of the idea was converting all of the Kung Fu to dance like movements that were a) simple b) possible to be practiced internally. In fact this morning when I woke up and started doing exercises with metal swrods and Noah was with me, I switched over to Tai Chi slowness with Lion Heads. After all those ar ethe muscles Noah really has to develop.


And then I was thinking about swords and how they are cool... but imply violence and remembered my Eagle costume idea. The swords would be wings, and vice versa.

I made a Dragon that works like a Spear and a Dragon that works like a Dai Do or Ax and the swords can also get the Chuen Pow Cup Motions in there.

In my mind they were always for children and beginners. And intro to Kung Fu. Or a way to perform without necessarily performing something inherently violent.

Recently I have been teaching the fighting forms more openly and I'm not sure that this stuff I made up is necessarily easier though. Especially since kids tend to be real rough with the creations and I would rather they be rough like that with something I did not spend days to make.


No comments:

Post a Comment