Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Pumpkin greens

A bunch of the pumpkin seeds that were in the compost have sprouted. They sprouted out of the buckets I filled with compost and planted other seeds in (which didn't do as well) they sprouted from the compost I put under the Japanese Maple in the front, and I even think there is pumpkin greens sprouting from the asphalt. Though that might be weed that just looks like a pumpkin green. I'm pretty sure there are pumpkin greens because they look like the plants in the children's book, "Seed to Pumpkin." and that is the only seed that was prevalent in our compost.
In any case, I picked some and ate them. The first time I ate the ones from the buckets that I watered with soapy water. (why? I just wanted to see if anything would grow) I didn't wash them. I had also fasted the day before and ate them with corn beef hash. I had diarrhea.
I saw one of the same greens growing in the front which I do not water at all. I ate it raw just to see what would happen. Nothing did.

Then those same ones I cut grew back. I cut them again, this time washing them thoroughly before stir frying them.  The tasted sweet and like the fanciest Chinese vegetables you can buy. I did not drink the water I steamed them in like I usually do. I thought I felt a little intestinal something, but no diarrhea.
Then Grace triple washed  another batch that I picked from the front, which had never been watered. We ate them as a family and were all fine.
These are the best plants ever. At first I thought, "Great we don't have space for pumpkins." But who cares? You can just keep eating the vegetable part of the plant and you turn around and it has grown back, without having watered them, We'll eat more of them for lunch today.

No comments:

Post a Comment