Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Paul Yee's "Dead Man's Gold."

Today it was Kung Fu Panda, followed by a visit to Moh Goon House, and then a visit to the Library. I found a children's book of short stories there that were scary Chinese stories. The Title is "Dead Man's Gold" and other stories. Most of the stories take place between Southern China (Canton) and the West Coast. So far a lot of them were Gold Rush era. I'm not sure if the author just made them up, or used actual stories.
I had written a few Chinese Ghost stories, modern ones, that I had heard on another blog. In fact I think I might start writing these little Chinese Short stories down again, and filling in the empty spaces with a little more embellishment. The stories tend to be to the point and short, and vague in terms of names, etc. Actually maybe that's a good thing. Actually I think the vagueness in my mind is actually do to a lack of familiarity with the locations mentioned by whoever was telling the story, and so I just forgot.

The point is that there is a ton of these stories floating around Chinatown. I'm sure there are a ton floating around any community, but I've heard a lot told around Chinatown. It's still the social thing to do when old men get together and drink tea (literally tea, I'm not even talking about Dim Sum) or just hot water or whatever. At first I only wanted to write the Kung Fu ones down, or maybe just ones that struck me. But now that I've seen a collection of them by Paul Yee, maybe I'll write all the ones I can remember down, and add a few of my own. I'll start with the ones I already wrote down and maybe even change the names. After all I'm sure that however I wrote them down before could be improved upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment