Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, August 8, 2014

All the sports

Noah had told me before that he wanted to learn all the sports. Today I tried with what we had. We did Baseball and he ran the bases of a real softball diamond. Pretty good. Then we did kickball. I guess we didn;t really do soccer. And then I tried to introduce volleyball because I think there is going to be tournaments in Chinatown this Sunday, and it will be cool to see those.
Basically I realized that hitting the ball like that is pretty hard, So we played catch over the fence. To throw the ball over was a lot like the basketball muscles. And then I realized (again) what I have said before. All the sports are actually just exercises. As in, if you look at it from a Kung Fu perspective, Baseball is working on a few aspects of a martial art, soccer others, football others, volleyball others, and if you put it all together it is one big Martial Art.

We started doing this catching game that we saw these Soccer girls doing the other day, which boxers also do with a medicine ball. And thinking back I remember doing a lot of these drills with another young student when it started only being him showing up to class and when I couldn't hold his attention for basics and other things.

Anyway, Noah was having a ball. I mar introduce these things in my Kung Fu class tomorrow.

I had been looking up "Kung Fu games" online and also just looking at literature on teaching kids Karate. (There is far more Karate stuff online in the U.S. than Kung Fu.) And basically I wasn't impressed because I couldn't see stuff that was better than the things I had invented. And now, I see that if I want to tap into other people's knowledge, I should probably look more at sports drills.

And doing all these sports drills in succession is a good way to build up the body in a fun way. And then do basics too.

I might try some of the stance drills while holding sticks or some other prop too. The lateral movement ball catching thing is sort of like horse stance, but I'm going to try the other stuff too.

No comments:

Post a Comment