Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, April 5, 2020

The Bamboo Bridge Chapter Four: Northern Heads

I took a deep breath as I looked at the old dusty Northern style heads. Now to be fair, these were cool. And could I teach these kids something? Sure. But was it my specialty? No not really. Not only that I quickly realized that the Kung Fu teacher was still going to be here for another month and I was just going to have to make something up on the side with two of the assistant instructors with heads I was not used to using. In fact this was sort of like an interview if sorts and nobody really thought I knew what I was doing. They saw a white guy. Which to tell the truth, is probably not as bad if I had been a straight up full blooded Cantonese guy because I am damn sure my Sifu would have taken on look at these Nothern heads and said, "Can't help you."


Instead I went over to the drum first and started playing Northern Chinese beats I had learned from my Chinese Dulcimer teacher. In fact, I had always wanted to use these beats somehow in l IP on dance. In fact, hadn't I talked to my Sifu about what we could do visually for these beats that didn't match the Southern style lion dance? Maybe this curveballs was a blessing in disguise.


I drummed.


And people over in shock.


I could feel it. Now that they had heard me drum... even though they didnt know the difference between drum styles or lion heads from this region or that. They knew that I knew what the hell I was doing.


I showed these kids basic head movements but respected the Kung Fu theybhad already learned. I showed them some jumps rolls and spins but allowed them to freestyle as well. This was the first of three classes. A crash course to be sure. But as long as I was the one that was drumming, it would he okay. 

Gau Duk hui.

Good enough.

The Chinese New Year performance day came and everyone commented on the lion dance. 

"That was incredible" people would say to the performers. "We didnt know you knew lion dance. And who was that white guy? How did he learn to drum like that? Is he in a rock and roll band?"

I should tell you about my children's performance and Joyce's performance in the show... but to he honest, we arrived at Plum Blossom Chinese School and just went out separate ways. When I was there I was a teacher and couldn't care about whatever activity they were doing at all.... which to be honest... turned out being what they preferred. They were happy to get me off of their back.


After the show was over and people were preparing for the dinner portion if the evening I saw Athena walking towards me fla led by two men. They introduced themselves...trying to assert themselves as more important than Athena. Which I sensed was not the case. Not only this, but Athena was not annoyed by this or submissive about this but simply seemed to be watching... amused.

"I am Kai. Kai Polk." Said an older man that reminded me of a bank manager that had once been my supervisor in Chinatown. He was a man I only sort of got along with but had respsected, "This is Mo Yung Tai.... so you know the lion dance"

I shook hands and was nodding while being bombarded by questions.

"We are from Central Chinese Community Center. I have eight lion heads and the drum. The other kind. You know how to.play the other kind? And the head too wr have the new kind. You know that one? Ok good. Can you teach our school instead? We have the better equipment."


"Uhhh. My kids already enrolled here in Plum Mountain and they are paying me" I glanced over at Athena who gave a slight nod, "In fact they are paying very well" Athena smiled at me as I continued, "and I'm not trying to run around all crazy to teach lion dance all over New Jersey. But you guys cab join my class if you like and then go to Central and teach your kids."

"Oh no... haha I don't... I'm too old. But we have a lion dance teacher... but nobody to teach drum. Our teacher is volunteer. For society and for culture heritage. We want to have a drumming for Taiwan National only Day for Virgin performance. If you teach then I can collect the fee and get the drums buy in Taiwan. "


I wanted to say no.... but then...I thought about that lame performance I had done a month ago. A year from now I wanted to have a real team of teens performing in Manhattan's Chinatown the way I had once done as a teenager. Maybe these guys had ties to the some organizations there who could sponsor us.


"If I teach can we go to Chinatown and do the parade?"

"As long as Double Ten they can do it then any other performance as long as the parents have time that is up to you. You provide the teaching and I will organize to collect fees and provide the equipment."


We shook hands.



No comments:

Post a Comment