Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Kung Fu transformation

I have been changing my Kung Fu a lot recently. I guess you could say it started when I had kids. But at this point I really have moved more towards wanting everything to work on the street, while simultaneously feeling free enough to do some stuff that is artistically out there.

I mean the fact that I have two Maui Hooks, a Shaka Zulu spear and shield and a Jam Ma do in the house, all made out of packing tape and things that are "trash" and also, all able to kill at least one person (the weapon would probably fall apart after that) .. it's like I am simultaneously mimicking some childhood arts and crafts event, AND prisoners making shanks.

That's where I'm at... flipping fake and real. In that my stuff is fake and real but in a different way than most Schools are fake and real.


Recently, I suggested teaching Kung Fu work outs to a Dragon Boat crew I will be hanging out with this summer. And that got me to thinking about how I can make all the Kung Fu moves more applicable to Dragon Boat... which led me to think about doing basic moves in Dragon Boat formation, ie, practically right next to each other.

I haven't tested it out on the kids yet... and honestly it's not my first attempt at this. I was doing similar things when Noah was  a baby and I was still teaching at KKCS and I was on my whole "Pirate" kick (still on it kind of.)

But there are two moves, which I tended to leave out of training kids (because it was just so hard for them to do it right) that I have adapted in such a way that I think anyone would be able to pick it up... but they look ugly. It looks more like I am teaching MMA.

So am I taking it too far?

I don;t know. I think my plan is that I will still show people the original technqiue but have them drill this easier simpler version.

Meanwhile, I have stopped forcing my kids to do forms and so when someone asked Noah to do a form today he just wouldn't do it. Too shy.

Would he be too shy if he did that everyday? Probably not. But then I would have to have an argument about doing that form everyday...and honestly I don't think he is able to transfer that knowledge into a fight.

Play fighting with Jonah isn't helping him much either though because he has all these bad habits. Just cause he can hit Jonah like that doesn't mean he is open as hell to attack.

It's not just Kung Fu either. I feel like I have came to some sort of limbo in life where I no longer have any sense of what I am doing. Maybe that's why I wanted to do Dragon boat so much.

Don't think

Just paddle with everyone else.








No comments:

Post a Comment