Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Drumming in the Dark

I had never really practiced the drum.. the Kung Fu Drum, the Lion Dance drum. I played the drum. I played the drum while we practiced forms or lion dance. I played the drum while we performed... but I never practiced. Probably because often for Chinese New Year you will play on the drum for hours at a time.

So I never thought of the drums as a form of basics. I tried to develop basics that you did in the air, using the drum as a way to the martial arts.

And then I tried to hit something else, but not like a kid. I am a large adult. Large not as in height but in weight. Basically screws came loose, things started to break even though my sticks were made of rolled up newspaper.

I wanted to hit something above eye level, because it is more like striking an opponent.


But realistically we do not have that type of drum.


So I engaged the real drum, lights off, full force, still with paper sticks.


What would happen if I put aside an hour a day to play these beats, basic though they may be. Yes I experimented with other beats too.


But what would happen if I took the time to hone my spirit and my skill, to sharpen it like rolling an iron bar into a needle, with regards to the drum?

No comments:

Post a Comment