Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Irishness- half a drop of blood still counts

I'm really not that Irish. My European blood is probably mostly Polish. The name Peters (my mother's last name) is German. But the thing is, the Irish relatives/ancestors/family were the loudest and so somehow that became the more predominant culture that was past down. When my mother moved to Boston form Philadelphia her Grandmother said, "Well that's okay at least there are a lot of Irish there." My mom sang "The Wearin of the Green" when I was little because her grandmother had forced her to learn it. And I remember when we were digging through the garage at one of my Great aunts' house there was a chest full of family "treasures." One of these treasures, wrapped up in cloth, and paper, was a piece of earth. I do not even know the name of the Irish Ancestor that brought that over when he came to America or even if he was my great grandfather or what, but there it was, handed down from generation to generation, a piece of earth from Ireland. Noah's speech therapist was actually super Irish, from Ireland, and she was telling me how now they sell clumps of dirt in tourist shops and how ridiculous it seemed that people would actually buy such a thing. To tell the truth, I would not be surprised if the dirt they sell was actually made in China.
So it seems weird to bring the a clump of dirt with you nowadays, what with facebook, and airplanes. But back when you had to get on a boat and probably did not plan on coming back, bringing a piece of earth made total sense and as a child I thought it was really cool.
The Irish name of our family is supposed to be Glackin, or something like that. Though I have never heard of anyone Irish with that last name.
Most of the Irish culture I know about actually comes from..... a summer at band camp. When the camp counselor, who was Jewish, was really into the Clancy Brothers. And I became really into the Clancy Brothers too, to the chagrin of my grandmother, who was more Irish than I was.
I only ever met one other person (okay two) who I was friends with that actually listened to Irish music. One was named Devlin. He was pretty Irish-American. But the songs he sang were not the ones that I knew. I.e. not the ones on the CD's I had.
The other was a Korean adoptee named Kieran. His adopted parents were not Irish. But they gave him an Irish name, and one time during an Asian club party, we started singing all these Irish drinking songs. Really two asians, (even though I look white I'm definately more asian than Irish) singing in brogue.
Well, Happy St. Patrick's day people.

No comments:

Post a Comment