Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, January 18, 2013

The Goddess has provided a sacrifice

So I mentioned before I used to be a suited instructor, like the guy in the red man suit (except not red), the guy old ladies knee in the balls in a self defense class, except it's not only old ladies sometimes it's basketball playing women over six feet and in their prime, but you get the idea.
I also used to have a 9-5 job where I was an admin, a secretary for everyone in the unit and sometimes other units too. Except I worked in government so it wasn't a high stress corporate situation like you might imagine.
Everyone knew I did this other job, and a co-worker, higher up, female, lesbian (it matters for the story) thought it was funny. She would say how those girls I taught wouldn't be able to defend themselves in a real situation. Now I first saw Impact when I was in highschool, and I thought some of the girls did come out a little over confident in their skills, but even then, I was sure they were better off than they were when they started, and the ground work seemed pretty good. And the girls who had been through more life experience knew that just because you could now "fight" didn't mean someone couldn't hit you in the back of the head with a brick. But the same is also true of a sharp shooter with a gun that isn't out in his hand.
So on another occasion this Co-worker let us call her Laura (that isn't her name) came by to chat again and asked, "so do you do parties?"
"What do you mean?"
"Well how much would it cost for you to come by and do a little something at this party I'm having at my house."
"Well it's really done with a trained female instructor.." I explained how the female instructor was there to keep me safe, even though the student often saw it as the other way around. The truth is, in those simulated fight, the only person in danger is the suited instructor. We say nasty things, grab them, and bring them to the ground (on top of us so they can't get hurt) we lie on them  but all of it is done waiting for them to finally hit us, kick us in the head and what have you. We never hit them. So if they get over zealous and we give the signal that the character is knocked out, the female instructor is the one that keeps the over zealous student from to continuing to hit us.
"Look it's not a real class," Laura said, " it's more like a joke."
I didn't feel comfortable with that.
"And don't get me wrong, it's going to be a Lesbian party. A lot of older women who did protests in the 60s. We're all women's rights and rah, rah, rah.. look at me. So we get it. It's just going to be a thing. You come in and make sure they don't get all crazy and like you said, they'll only get one hit, either to the eyes/head or to the balls.... so much? We all work in government so none of us are rich, it will be like 15 minutes. is $60.00 okay? Kind of like a favor?"
I said, "Yeah sure why not?"
So, another thing.. I don't drive. I have a license, but for the sake of society I don't get behind the wheel. It's not cause I'm half Asian. My Asian Female significant other is a terrific driver. It's just me, and my poor eyesight, and I just have a natural aversion to cars since I always got carsick as a child.
So I had to hire my friend (asian male terrific driver) to drive me to Laura's house.
He talked to her on the phonefor last minute directions when we got close. (The party was at night by the way) It kind of felt like were about to commit some sort of crime. Laura was a little stressed so came across as rude to my friend. We parked, I jumped out of the car, got out my body bag looking hocky bag and pulled out the suit. I stripped down to the spandex underwear reserved for  work with this suit in the middle of the sidewalk. Nobody was around on the street. I put on a cup, put on the giant cup over that, the one that makes it look like a caricature of some sort of male fertility god or demon. Put on the rest of the suit and the helmet and pants over the giant cup.
I ring the doorbell. Laura already know I'm coming so she meets me in the hallway.
"Wait here I'll announce you" she whispers, "I'll just say really loud.. the goddess has provided a sacrifice and then you come in okay-" and she shuts the door.
So then I hear it "Ladies!-" etc etc.."The Goddess has provided us tonight with a sacrifice!"
Enter me.
They all go nuts. Middle age women covered in tatooes screaming like school girls. A young woman runs by me and hits the cup, screeching and laughing as she runs to the other side of the room. It feels like a tap compared to a real hit but I wasn't expecting it. Vision inside the helmet is extremely obscured. A particularly tatooed grey haired woman grabs a knife, probably a butter knife. I see adrenaline and fear of the suited sacrificial lamb in the eyes of a lot of these women.
Laura is starting to see things get out of control.
"No knives." I whisper to her. I should also mention that the suit only talks in character. In a class, whenever I want to say something as a teacher, I take the helmet off. It's a psychological thing. Put the helmet on and I'm a person you don't know, potentially dangerous. This wasn't a class, so I figured I wouldn't talk at all, and I had mentioned this to Laura. Exept of course I would talk to Laura now to let her know knives were not part of our $60.00 agreement.
"Ladies. So the goddess has provided a sacrifice, but she has declared that you will have only one strike upon him!"
"awwwwwwwww!!!!!"
"One strike in the head...." she gestured," Or........ the manhood! and please put the knife away."
Surprisingly most of the women were scared and said as much.
A couple of women lined up and they hit me, and I sort of pretended to be hurt, but this wasn't a class, and there wasn't a lot of space behind me to fall down. Plus it was just weird. Then when I pretended to be hurt, they sort of started talking to me asking if I was okay. In a class, the Female instructor would take over at this point. Plus it would have been explained that while the character is hurt, the instructor in the suit is not hurt and it is not their responsibility but ours to worry about that. Laura wasn't trained but she just talked to me and I whispered to her what was up and she explained. It wasn't very smooth.
The on of the women, came up to me and turned around.
"Okay so I'm walking down the street and you attack me" (an Impact alumn, They are trained to only fight back. So they don't just attack the suit unprovoked. In fact they learn to use their words first and then when the suit moves in they move in. Or when the suit attacks. Or in reversals, attempted sexual assaults, they go down to zero and when the opportunity arises they attack, because by virtue of the situation, they are already being attacked but hadn't had the opportunity to fight effectively yet.)
Any way so she elbowed me hard in the face, like they do in the class.
"Are you okay" Lauara said. I was, but I hadn't braced for an elbow attack or fallen backward so as not to absorb all the force. The Woman was not the biggest or strongest. It was an effective elbow to someone not wearing a helmet. But some women and really throw an elbow. It's one of the hardest blow to take, especially when you are just standing there posed in an awkward position waiting for them to set up and throw their whole body weight into the elbow. But yeah I was okay enough.
Laura was surprised and the next day she mentioned how maybe the class was better than she had previously thought.
But as for that night, soon it was all over, I was unmasked and shown to be a coworker, and then three $20's were in my hand, $20 to my friend, I was out of the house, stripped back down on the sidewalk and back into normal clothes and we were out.
It turned out to be easy money and an adrenaline rush.
We laughed all the way back to Chinatown.

No comments:

Post a Comment